Business Analytics online MSc
The course starts in September 2020. If you prefer to start at a later stage, you can apply to start the course in January, May or September 2021.
The online course takes a total of two years and three months to complete.
We recommend a commitment of around 12–15 hours of study per week.
Units are run consecutively, with each one taking eight weeks to complete. Over the course of the year, you’ll have three short breaks, in December, April and August.
- Autumn term: September to December
Short break in December
- Spring term: January to April
Short break in April
- Summer term: May to August
Short break in August
Tailored to fit your lifestyle, our online course is perfectly suited to individuals with full-time work and/or family commitments. Online study offers multiple ways to interact with the curriculum, all designed to fit around your schedule.
Tuition fees are paid at £833* per 10 credit unit. Fees can be paid in instalments corresponding with the course units. To qualify for an MSc, you will need a total of 180 credits.
The course unlocks management and consultancy careers in business analytics, in a number of diverse industries and sectors. Recent graduates of the campus-based programme have been successfully employed in data analytics, consulting, auditing and software engineering roles.
As a student, you’ll have access to the latest IBM tools and business intelligence software including Tableau, SAS, Qlik and Cognos, helping you design reports and extract meaningful data insights.
Students are assessed through a variety of methods, including essays, reports, group work, case studies and presentations. In some cases, relevant work experience can be included as curriculum credit. Explore the course curriculum.
To enrol on our MSc course, the following criteria apply:
- Typically, you should have a first or second class bachelor’s honours degree or international equivalent
- To apply for this course, you must have an undergraduate degree in a subject with high quantitative content such as mathematics/statistics, computer science, engineering, physics, chemistry, biology, economics, or a quantitative social science. We may consider other subjects if they have enough quantitative content
- You must also have fluency in one general-purpose programming language, such as C++, C#, Java, Visual Basic, or Python. This does not include web development languages such as HTML or PHP
- If English is not your first language, you will be required to show that your first degree was taught and assessed in English
- Alternatively, you have passed the IELTS academic test with a grade of no less than 7.0 overall, with at least 6.5 in all of the four parts (reading, listening, writing and speaking)
Our MSc courses are flexible and designed to fit around your lifestyle and work commitments. We provide an open environment to help you learn both the data science skills and the business techniques necessary for a career in business analytics. In addition to our faculty of highly acclaimed teaching staff, we have links to a wide range of companies worldwide, with units run in partnership with IBM and SAS.
The course is 100% online, so there is no need to visit campus at any point during your studies. You can attend campus, if you wish, for instance if you want to use the library, but it’s not a requirement.
Our online environment features regular interaction with your lecturers and fellow students to give it that classroom feel. To help you connect with the content, the environment includes video content, case studies and a library of digital resources. Although our online courses allow you to study at a time and place that suits you, we do ask that you complete your assignments against a set schedule.